COHHIO's Tenants Outreach program provides information and support to tenants and advocates throughout Ohio on rental rights, fair housing, housing advocacy and tenant organizing. The primary focus is on tenants living in federally assisted housing (Project-based Section 8, Low Income Housing Tax Credits and Rural Housing Service 515 properties), but staff will try to be of service to any Ohioan with questions about her/his housing rights.
Questions about your rights as a tenant? Call the COHHIO TENANT RENT INFORMATION LINE at 888-485-7999
Staff can answer general questions about situations that come under the jurisdiction of the Ohio Landlord Tenant Law or HUD regulations. We cannot provide legal advice on specific issues or concerns.
Staff provides workshops on the federal fair housing laws. Our specialty is outreach around Section 504 of the 1973 Rehabilitation Act.
Staff maintains a database of federally assisted properties in Ohio and monitors local circumstances in an effort to identify troubled properties and promote preservation solutions. The Ohio Preservation Advisory Group is a loose collection of housing advocates supported by COHHIO who address housing preservation issues locally and nationally.
Staff can provide written information about tenant organizing and in-person consultation with tenants who are seeking to form tenants organizations where they live.
COHHIO's Tenant Outreach work is supported by grants from the Ohio Housing Trust Fund and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's Fair Housing Initiatives program. To ask a question or to get more information about COHHIO's Tenant Outreach program, leave a message for COHHIO staff at 614-280-1984 x 33.
Contact and Download Center
- Do you have a question about rental rights or fair housing?
- Joint Statement of The Department of Housing and Urban Development and The Department of Justice - Reasonable Accommodations Under The Fair Housing Act Washington, D.C. - May 17, 2004 [PDF]
- Joint Statement of The Department of Housing and Urban Development and The Department of Justice - Reasonable Modifications Under The Fair Housing Act Washington, D.C. - March 5, 2008 [PDF]
- Know Your Tenants Rights By Spencer Wells, COHHIO Tenant Outreach Coordinator [PDF]
- Affordable Housing FAQs If you have any further questions or information to add to our FAQs, please contact email@example.com
- Home Weatherization Assistance Program (HWAP) FAQs PDF – Increase in Ohio HWAP funds can be used on multi-family affordable housing.
- HWAP Update and Local Providers PDF – Learn more about HWAP guidelines and local providers
- OCRC Closures by County
- Sample Training Material